06 June 2009

Russian invasion

The first day in Egypt had gone halfby when I finally woke up, still groggy after my crossing adventure. I took a cab to the Dana Beach hotel. There I met up with Joke and was transformed into a package tourist for half a day (red wrist band, pool towel card...). Tried out two of the seven restaurants. Dipped in one of the four pools, played a game of mini golf with real Jetair travellers and had a lousy massage. I did not need an afternoon to figure out that I would never enjoy this. But I can check that. Thank you Joke.

Saturday I started my Open Padi Water course with Blue Paradise, managed by two belgian people, from the city of Ghent. It was good fun. I had to convince myself and the instructor had to convince me that I would be allright, surrounded by water and a funny thing in your mouth through which you breath. I didn't felt very at ease the first time I had to go down, but things got better and now I am thrilled that I have my open water. I realized that I was not a water person, that is probably also the reason that I am driving a bike to Belgium and not sailing a boat.

I stayed for another couple of days in Hurghada arranging some practical things. I had to sent some things back home. Things I tought I need, and which I didn't. Because Mortada was so generous to provide me with a place to stay, free of charge I had nothing to worry about. I took two extra dives to enjoy some more of the marvellous underwater life and scenery of the Red Sea, it will be hard to do better for my next diving spot, as the Red Sea is absolutely spectacular. My major concern was, however, the oil leak of the bike. With the help of Mortada I found myself in the presence of a skilled mechanic, working in Al Gouna. AlGouna is a artificial city 20 km outside Hurghada. It was built by some megalomaniac entrepreneur, who wanted a city of which he could have complete control. No police is allowed inside, it has its own security force, streets, parts of 'town', a small harbour, shops, restaurants and petrol station. The mechanic was working at the petrol station. On my birthday I went overthere to work on the bike. The problem was quite obvious, a leaking seal at the front sprocket axle. The solution was as easy. Replace the seal. As I was told before by people who had done a lot of travelling before, you can carry all the spares you want, in the end something will break down for which you have no spare. They were exactly right. I did not have a spare seal. Luckily Egypt is Africa, and everything is possible in Africa. So we set off (two on the bike) in search of a seal. Several spare parts shops (all for car spare parts) he managed to find a Suzuki seal that was identical. With no time to waste he just replaced the seal on the side of the road. Things don't have to be complicated. Problem solved, me a happy birthday boy.

During my stay in Hurghada I decided to drive down to Luxor and Abu Simbel. To see the great Nile. It turned out to be a great decision, that I would not regret, any soon.

1 comment:

  1. The diving does sound great! I've got friend, that I met in Burma, who's in Mexico at the moment doing cave dives in centoes. Looks truly stunning to be floating around inside a cave deep beneath the jungle. He's just got his open-water padi also. It seems regulations are a little lax in Mexico, so I'd suggest there as a possible next diving spot :-)

    ReplyDelete