21 January 2010

Lullabies

I spent five days in Damascus. I love Damascus. It is the atmosphere that, most of all, makes me feel happy. I met two fellow motorcycle travelers, Bas en Eva. The were Belgian and were on a four month trip circling the Mediterranean Sea on the back of two Honda TransAlps. The backbone of their journey were ‘lullabies’, everywhere they came they recorded local lullabies (www.slaapkindjeslaap.be). I loved them right away and we spent some wonderful days together exploring Damascus and its surroundings.

I left Damascus, with the intention of heading to the East, to Palmyra. Somewhere trapped in the gridlocked suburb traffic my panicked and trampling thoughts ordered my brains to forget it all and push on to Belgium. This was the start of couple of days on which only the traveled amount of kilometers mattered. I left Damascus and drove to Turkey sleeping in an ugly tourist town of Iskenderun.

No comments:

Post a Comment